I provide ideation services, conceptual and technical consulting, from visionary design to professional execution and presentation. I am an experienced designer, the creative mind behind alter ego Lyrois and author of "None of This is Real." →
Book layout, cover design, and typesetting
After I did the layout and typesetting for James Altucher's "I Was Blind But Now I See" and James did such a good job at writing and promoting it, I'm flooded with requests for assistance in the book publication process.
Here is what I do --
(See also my Guide to Self-Publishing Your Book.)
- Design and Editing
- Book layout, formatting
- Professional typography and typesetting
- Typesetting with InDesign (optional: TeX/LateX)
- Cover- and title design
- Proofreading, checking grammar
- Text editing
- Data conversion
- Print-ready PDF files
- EPub files for E-books, Kindle, Lulu, etc.
- Quality control
This is what I need to know from you if you want to publish your own title --
- Word or page count and trim size of the printed book (I can assist you with selecting an appropriate format)
- Number of images and/or tables
- Plain text or MSWord/OpenOffice files
- Pictures, images, and tables separately
This is what you get --
- E-book files
- Book as .epub- or .mobi-file including cover art and table of contents
- Cover art separately as a high-resolution .pdf- or .jpg-file according to your publisher's specifications
- Print files
- Book interior as a .pdf-file inklusive including table of contents
- Book cover/jacket as a high-resolution .pdf- or .jpg-file according to your publisher's specifications
- Book cover as a .jpg-file for marketing purposes, etc.
The process --
I am doing layout, typesetting, and formatting in a back and forth exchange of draft files with you giving feedback at certain steps along the way. Prices vary, depending on the status of your files and the amount of text, also, I need to know whether you have any tables or images in your manuscript. The deliverables are printable PDF files and/or EPUB (e-book) files for self-publishing. Please give your intended timeframe as well as a rough info on the length of the book and whether you want to publish in print and/or as an e-book.
Please provide as much information as you can and contact me at email@example.com for a calculation/quote. (See also my Guide to Self-Publishing Your Book.)
- You need a Createspace account (or similar), in order to publish and get the ISBN for the book.
- You need a different ISBN for the e-book or alternatively, can sell an e-book without an ISBN.
- Print vs. E-book
- For print publishing, you need a fixed layout and can't recycle the dynamically layouted/fluid e-book version, basically, all the layout, typesetting and formatting has to be done for the print version.
- I advise not to include images in an e-book, UNLESS they are part of the content and not purely decorative.
- Please make sure to have good resolution pictures and own the copyrights or use Creative Commons, or free images altogether.
If you are interested in book packaging, please contact me. (Book packagers or book producers act as liaisons between publishing houses and everyone who works to put together a book--authors, artists, editors, photographers, researchers, indexers, and sometimes even printers. Publishing houses often don't have enough in-house resources to handle all of the books they want to publish, so they outsource certain projects to third parties.)
See also the Showcase.
Working languages: English and German.